Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INCREASED "n" FACTOR TO REDUCE VELOCITY??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tincan

Civil/Environmental
Aug 8, 2003
US
I have an open channel between 2 fixed elevation RCB's. To connect these two I can use a drop structure or a slope of 1.33% which produces high velocities. Has anyone roughened the interior of an RCB, sandblast or water pressure on setting concrete to obtain a higner "n" value?

Would have to go from the normal value of 0.013-0.014 to 0.025 to reduce the velocities to a workable limit.

i would prefer not construction dragon teeth or blocks within the RCB because of possible trash hangup, maintenance is poor.

Anybody tried this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree - would prefer to keep the velocity in the box higher to prevent sedimentation and maintenance. A drop off the end of the box is a common method of reducing the channel slope. How will roughening the box slow the velocity in the channel?

I agree, use a drop and the equilibrium slope of the channel. I usually try to minimize drops to 2 feet for safety.

I agree with the drop but client doesn't. Will retry.
I was curious if anyone had tried anything but baffle blocks as per HY8.

Thanks for the replys.

Have you calculated the expected velocities if you just go with standard RCB? If so,what's the problem with having the high velocities?

Sorry i never could tipe. The slope is 13.32% missed a decimal. The drop depth will be 13-14' +-

gbam, have used the rip rap and grouted rip rap on other installations but owner wants to pave paradice and put in a parking lot, so RCB is required.

cah2oeng, have a problem at the exit, trying to keep the velocities as low as possible. May just have to buy adjacent area and put in an energy dissipator.

thanks

Thanks for the replies;
Cah2oeng---have done drops before and they would be applicable here, but the client doesnt want them.

gban--no problem with parking, want to put in a shallow RCB as much as possible for the economy, then a steep section(or drop) and then flatten out to the normal channel slope.

dicksewerrat--(love that moniker)no CGMP or internal rings allowed.

It looks like I'm going to end up with a broken back RCB with a CSU enegergy dissipator at the end.

Thanks for all your input, Tincan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back