Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing Basement Height - Stone Foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinStrucEng

Structural
Nov 11, 2022
CA
Good day and happy holidays folks,

I have a client who wishes to deepen their foundation (increase the total basement height). I have a standard detail for this that is typical to my part of the country (Ontario, Canada) when completing this work on poured foundations. I have used it many times before and it's relatively simple too:

Bench_Detail_shv13o.png

Difference in this case is that the house has a stone foundation. The stone foundation is in relatively good shape. The house is a side-by-side duplex (my client owns one of the two sides), two storeys above grade, clad in brick. Other than getting a geotechnical engineer to provide additional commentary before we start, does anyone have any other feedback or comments? Thoughts on using the above style bench underpinning? I will be going back to the house in the New Year and will give some thought on how to pin the new foundation elements to the existing stone wall - that's my greatest query, at this point. Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've underpinned numerous stone foundation walls (without footings) by excavating under the wall in parts to a foot below the required basement level and cast concrete extensions to the stone wall. This is repeated to the part of the wall adjacent in about 3'-4' segments. I cannot find the detail, but the following are the notes. Dimension 'D' is the length of the excavated segment.:

Clipboard01_icslrk.jpg

I've also done 'benching' similar to what you have shown.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Neither am I, but rolled it out as an option.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back