Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

increasing torque without any big modifications 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deividas

Automotive
Dec 14, 2014
LT
Hello. I wanna ask, how increase engine torque without increasing displacement, compression ratio, and fuel consumption? Or how new engines increase fuel efficiency and power, when compared to older egines? I know, that new engines have higher CR, ecu controlled fuel injection and ignition timming, better designed combustion chambers, variable cams and intake manifold, but that is enough or there is something i missed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A second genera+ion Quadraje+ <65 and up> is a good carb, among +he bes+ OEM carbs ever , when in good +une. Ay, +heres +he rub <and +ha+ app1ies +o a11 carbs>. Sorry for +he unconven+iona1 +yping; my keyboard is gimba11ed [3eyes]

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

hemi you should send work emails typed like that haha.

So id concede this debate with a conclusion along the lines of: EFI is great at a broad field of applications (soccer moms driving vans to engine tuners tuning a car in real time). Carbs are great for shadetree mechanics and they have their place in some racing applications

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

Yeah I suppose I shouldn't rag on EFI too much. It keeps my department pretty busy [thumbsup2] Once I can do it myself, my car is going to have direct injection and a very high compression ratio. Until then, I'm loving my carburetor

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

One thing you can also do is to make sure you are combusting the fuel at the ideal time, and making it combust as fast as possible.

Have you ever heard of a turbulent jet igniter? It does this VERY well. There are a few variations to it, but they all work in the same way. They ignite the fuel charge with the turbulent particles instead of directly exposing the charge to the spark.

You get a much more uniform and instant burn when using one. That means you can have the fuel/air charge release more of its energy when most optimal. The combustion will be more precisely concentrated, which allows you to get higher combustion pressure when you want it.

Is your supposition that the "turbulent jet ignitor" can be retrofitted to a run-of-the-mill engine? If so, do tell.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

The "turbulent jet ignition" looks like a modernized version of the old Honda CVCC system.

Lean-burn might be an efficiency-improver in some circumstances but it is not a power/torque adder. The engine will make less torque in lean-burn mode than in stoich mode.

MAHLE is a large and reputable company, so something of this sort coming from them warrants paying more attention to it than if it were coming from the usual quacks.

The main differene to CVCC is the volume of the pre-chamber - very small and contributing only a tiny fraction of total combustion energy. The process is simple - air or lean mix enters the igniter from the cylinder during the compression stroke. The igniter has its own injector which adds a minute quantity of fuel and a spark plug to set it off. Much simpler than the CVCC which had two seperate induction paths.

There are a few papers by William Attard who worked on this research with Harry Watson at Melbourne University before going to work for Mahle.

je suis charlie

It allows a more uniform and precise combustion. My thought is that you could get the fuel to burn more quickly and have the cylinder pressure concentrated to a more ideal portion of the piston's stroke. Of course, the benefits would vary depending on how efficient the combustion chamber is that you're working with. Im also thinking this would help with knock limitations. Lean burn is one benefit, but I think there is potential for getting more work out of the given fuel & air already being brought into the engine.

And there are various versions of turbulent jet igniters that could work in certain engines without changing the architecture. Spark plug angle is important here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back