Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

India - Is AISC acceptable design option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStohler

Structural
May 1, 2001
US
The firm I work for is looking into the potential of designing an industrial structure that would be built in Gujarat India. It would be structural steel construction and the site would fall into Indian Seismic Zone V per the National Building Code of India.

During conversations with potential fabricators, our firm has been asked to clarify whether the design will be according to Indian standards or "American" standards (meaning AISC & IBC).

It is our understanding that the controlling codes are the 3 following documents:
1) National Building Code of India
2) Indian Standard 800 - 2007, General Construction in Steel
3) Indian Standard 1893 - 1984, Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures

Are there any provisions that would allow the use of an alternate design standard such as IBC or UBC?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the US, the specific codes are required by law, and laws may vary by state. What makes you say that those 3 code are controlling? Is this simply what people generally use where you are or is this written into law? You need to know your local law. Ask your supervisor - it's his business to know.

However, important values for wind and seismic loads are not easily available for India which make IBC problematic though not impossible.

MrStohler -

The UBC other standards have no legal authority until adopted or specified. Obviously, it should be determined by the owner and/or code authority what standards are acceptable.

Your firm, as the designer and specifier may require a standard to me met. Since India has a very long tradition, it has been my experience that the British standards are the basis for the present Indian standards, but the surfacial familiarity with U.S. standards is quite common and they may be accepted in addition or in lieu of the British/Indian standards on a project-by-project basis if the India professionals agree.

Obviously, the products used must be to equal to local material standards. Also, the structural shapes used must be common to those locally used in normal practice to avoid excess costs and delays, so U.S. products are not usually feasible.

Keep in mind that the most common car used in India is still a 1952 Austin that has been produced for many years (now an Ambassador)in India without change, despite modern Fords, Suzukis, etc are made there and Jaguar and Rover are owned by a huge Indian company that is a contractor, cement producer, resort owner, educational facility and supplier of high-tech medical equipment. - The bottom line when in India is remember - "If it does not make sense, it must be true and it will work". Just do your homework and rely on preparation and documentation.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Here's what I know:

1) The Indian steel code is IS800.

2) The old Indian steel code IS800 was written in 1984 and re-affirmed a number of times. It is very, very similar to the ASD 9th edition green book from AISC. My company (RISA) added that into our program a few years ago and it was a very simple code.

3) The new Indian steel code is IS800:2007. It is not nearly as simple. It seems to be based as much on the Eurocodes as on the US codes. Therefore, the terminology will not be quite as familiar.

Personally, I find just about everything about the Eurocode to be cumbersome. But, the new Indian code (thankfully!) does not seem to be as cumbersome as the Eurocode. But, it will be a real adjustment even if you are familiar with LRFD codes in general.

Having designed many steel buildings in USA (SDC D and above) and currently doing designs in India, I personally feel the IS 800 is very vague & inadequate, especially for Zones 4 and higher. We have convinced the owners and the India city officials to approve use of AISC/FEMA recommendations on some of our projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back