Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Individual color of components in a product

Status
Not open for further replies.

norkamus

Aerospace
May 15, 2012
CA
I feel like a tool. I have to believe there is a way to change the colour of individual components in a product. Right now, if I select a component and change the colour, the entire product updates to that colour. There is no way around it. I can change line types in the way I described, but the colour doesn't take. What am I missing? I even tried turning on "rendering style per object" in the view mode customization box to no avail.

I don't really want to mess around with materials as basic colors will do.
Thanks for any help.

Nick

Light structural commercial aircraft parts
PCDMIS 4.3 CAD++, CATIA V5 R20
APM Consortium Inc.
Cambridge Ontario, Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With the product active (blue background), change the properties of each part instance. Each instance can have a unique color.

Or, activate each individual part and change the properies of the Part Body. Every instance of each part will be the same color.

You might have to Reset Properties (using Apply To Children option) in order to remove all other colors.

Ok. This worked in a new product I just made. So I know it can be done. In a different product (the original one I posted about) it doesn't work. Having the product active and changing the colour on an instance changes colour on every instance in the product.

Can you clarify the "Apply to children" option? Where is it?

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.

APPLY TO CHILDRED is an option in the RESET PROPERTIES panel. This resets all graphic properties (including color) of object selected.

Jackk,
Where is the reset properties panel? I'd use help for this but if you read my other post, you'll find that Java has disabled my help (search)permanently.

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.

RESET PROPERTIES is in Part Design. Right-click on a feature (or PartBody), and slide down to feature Object.

If you apply color to components within an Assembly, you have to go to the component Properties and change the color to NO COLOR to remove it.

Can you attach a picture of your product tree showing the part instancesz?

Ok. I figured it out. I had a color assigned to the product. As soon as I assigned "no color" to the product, the other components showed the colors I had been trying to assign.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.

Thanks for sharing the solution, Nick. I never had seen this before.

I finally had a chance to recreate the problem this afternoon, and I came up with the same solution. Make sure you remove color (assign "no color") to top assembly and all the sub-assemblies and component assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back