Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Induction Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nx4me

Dec 20, 2002
US

I have a Lycoming AEIO-320 installed in my experimental Aerobatic aircraft. (Engine is Air cooled, horizontally opposed, 320 cubic inch displacement 4 cylinder, and is equipped with an Airflow Performance Mechanical Fuel Injection system. Nominal operating parameters are 2700rpm @29 in/hg.)

The factory intake plenum and 30% of the runners are integrated with the oil sump. (This was done to prevent induction icing on carbureted engines) I would like to build a more efficient oil sump (currently 0.25-inch rise per quart of oil, sump capacity 8 quarts, and frequent upright/ Inverted cycles. Ideal design would offer 1.0-inch rise per quart.) And an independent Intake Manifold. Present design is NOT tuned. I'm looking for information on how to calculate Ideal Plenum volume and runner length for this low RPM / Large displacement application.

Thanks for your time.

Marshall

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can only bring up an idea concerning conduits,to know,that,generally,section variations over 7% constitute an aerodinamical brake.
Thanks,
Ignacio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back