Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

inductive LED 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWard

Industrial
Nov 7, 2001
GB
Could anyone please point me in the direction for a supplier in th UK for "inductive LEDs"?

We have some ovens and for each element there is an LED indicator ,which has a coil on the back, on the control panel. The supply to the element wraps twice around the coil and that supplies enough current to drive the LED. It's really useful for indicating when an element has failed, and I'd like to get some for some more ovens we're buying.

I only need small quantities though (10 or 20 at a time).

A few years ago someone here posted a link to a supplier, however I have lost the information and couldn't find it in a thread search.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes they are.
However they are a complete unit, ready assembled and ready for panel mounting.
All neat and simple.
If there's a really easy way of making your own then I'm all ears.
(Or should that be "eyes"?)

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

This would do it. I attached a FALCO Miami FL T75001-H coil to a LED and it worked well from 4-12A. This is a potted (about 1 1/4 inch) coil with a 3/8" hole and has a resistance of about 40 ohms. remember these wer about $3 in small quantities. You should be able to find the same over there, although it is harder to find the 50/60 pickups. The vast majority are designed for higher frequency chopper circuits.

Rob,
I have never heard of these and found none searching the net. Are they Led driven by a small transformer, or are they truely coupled inductively with the led leads open? I'm assuming these are 60 hertz elements.
elf

I'm not in the habit of searching for people, but I found u-rd.com (Japan)has them and they have a distributor in the UK. Just a torroid coil attached to an LED as a simple GO-NO GO monitor. I designed a simple monitoring relay that did the same thing. It powered a relay (no external power)with only a single pass of a wire with 10A going through it and could withstand over 100A continuous. Lighting just a LED with a small torroid is a piece of cake.

itsmoked, operhouse,
Thanks I've seen these used it triac circuit but never as an indicator. I think I should have searched on something other than inductive Led's.
elf

Thanks for all your help everyone.

The link from itsmoked look quite similar to the items I need. Probably not the same manufacturer but I'll Google a bit more and see if I can get some in the UK.
It's tricky when you don't know the correct terminology, but it's good to learn something new everyday if you can.

I might have a go at making some.
They don't call me Rob "Wizard at Electronics" Ward for nothing.

Or ar all, actually, but I'll have a trawl through the RS and Farnell catalogues and see if I can get some toroids as per Operahouse's spec, then it'll be a case of trial and error.

What's the worst that can happen...!?

Well, I searched your link a bit more, itsmoked, and they have a UK distributor. On more carefull examination I think they are the exact same part, so I've emailed them for a price, and if it's reasonable I'll purchase instead of self build. (Yeah I know - I'm a wimp!)
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back