Industrial Engineering Standards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

devagupt

Industrial
Nov 20, 2007
US
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a website like ISO etc. which will give me a documented procedure of how to come up with Engineering standards on the Floor. Is there a website or a guideline online any one of you know which i can use to create production standards in my company? I work in a pharmaceutical company and we make vials . We normally go by Best demonstrated performance. Is there another way of coming up with standards like considering a fudge factor , taking some other times into consideration eg. Downtime etc..

Please let me know the same

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A standard is used as a yard stick to measure your operations against. If your yard stick is consistent across operations you can tell how well your plant/process/people are performing over time.
An example is say you set a standard of 1 hour and even with your best person and standard process the best that can be done is 1 hour 10 minutes you can surmise the standard is wrong. Now you have a choice adjust the standard or set your performance level at the lower percentage. As long as you are consistent and management understands the situation everything is fine. Most likely someone will say 100% is the acceptable performance level which cannot be attained then reset your standard. If this is the case the standard should not be 1 hour 10 minutes because you best person is the only one who can perform at that level the standard should be set at the average performance level.
I also want to say time standards and effeciency is not the goal of production. The goal of production is to produce the product at the least cost and least waste. At the end of the year the profitability of a company is measured by sales income minus cost of goods sold. I don't see standard cost in this equation and I have never had a customer pay me for a good time standard. Too many people are hung up on effeciency and productivity and lose sight of profitability.

Isn't efficiency and productivity the key to profit, or do you have another way of making that?

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

No! Both efficiency and productivity are management numbers trying to measure activity against a standard. Yes they can help steer you in the direction of where to work but no they are not the ultimate measure for profit.

Say I have a machine which can produce 100 widgets per hour and I find a way to produce 120 widgets per hour. I am doing 120%. Say I only use 50 widgets per hour so I have to store the over production, handle the part multiple times, carry the inventory and use up space storing the inventory. I can be really efficient but lose profit through other wastes. Productivity can also do the same thing if there is waste in the system. Some wastes are necessary but minimizing waste/non-value activity is the best approach.

I thought the definition of efficiency would include not producing more than you need or can sell? If I can pump a 1000 gallons of water a day to a small greenhouse that only needs 500 gal, is that efficient, no? Even if I have a pump that might work at 95% efficiency, no. I think profit comes from maximizing individual efficiencies, then optimizing the process. If you optimize a process with 1000 machines working at 25% efficiency, what have you accomplished? Let's say I thought I optimized my business of producing widgits, but I was still losing money. I decide I probably have to lay off all employees and close down. Then I hire devagupt and he comes and compares my widgit machines to known standards for widgit machine production capacity. He's a smart guy and says, "No, we just have to increase the operating efficiency of these widgit machines to 50%, then you can make a profit even if you throw 5% of the widgits away. I know that widgit machines can work at 78% efficiency according to the standards I developed at XYZ company. Then he asks, "So why do you want to close down your business and lay off all these people? I say, "Idono".

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back