Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

industrial equipment replacement-rock breaker mount/support

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbse

Structural
Sep 13, 2007
US
I been approached to design an new support system for a rock breaker piece of heavy equipment. The new rock breaker (and support assembly) is to replace an existing rock breaker assembly. The existing rock breaker is mounted partly on an existing concrete wall and partially on a steel wide flange main beam. The exisitng concrete wall is thick (approximately 18 inches) and no information is available on the reinforcing steel size, orientation, placement, etc. The existing main steel beam is connected at each end to the face of concrete walls by resting on a built-up steel plate shelf assembly bolted (post-installed anchors) to the concrete. The existing rock breaker equipment loads the steel beam at approximately mid span. The client has attempted to reduce movement of the existing rock breaker support by placement of steel beam bracing members at 45 degree angles off the bottom of the main support beam. I have force and loading information for the new rock breaker equipment. The loading information gives large moment forces that will, in my opinion, cause torsional forces in the main steel support beam.
Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Is there some guidance you can give concerning design for torsion/large moment forces? I appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back