Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Industrial Grade HVAC Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbohsali

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2007
US
An owner is requesting that we specify the highest quality HVAC pumps for his project. Can you let me know which manufacturers in your experience are considered "industrial" or top grade rather than "commercial" grade for centrifugal end suction, double suction and vertical turbine pumps?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bell and Gossett makes great pumps for these applications. Not sure they are considered industrial like Goulds or Flowserve, but excellent pumps anyway.

Goulds was for many years the premium line, now it is absorbed into a comglomerate. Coverage is reduced but they are still excellent pumps. Dresser, I-R, and Goulds are all under the same roof as I recall. All are good pumps. B&G tends to be a little more "commercial", but in most HVAC applications they are fine. If the boss wants "the best", look at Goulds.

Aurora makes a nice pump. Just finishing up rebuilding (2) 2040 GPM pumps on 125 HP motors. This is the first work they have had in 15 yrs, they run about 10 months a yr 24/7 pumping chilled water. Make sure you order the pumps with mechanical seals and not the packing no matter what manufacturer you choose. JMHO

Contact any of the major pump companies, some are already given above and make a selection from their industrial pump ranges. These will be more than adequate for your HVAC application.

After looking at the answers, I am wondering why you ask this question. If your thought is to get a better quality pump to compensate for poor installation and maintenance, think again. An industrial pump will not likely last any longer than a commercial pump if it is improperly installed and maintained. I suggest putting your efforts into designing a good foundation, using a guide like API 686, followed by selecting a good baseplate, proper pipe design and support, pump to driver alignment, and commisioning, to name a few. Also, selection of the proper pump for the application is important. This should be followed up by a good maintenance program. I have seen good installations last for years as mentioned above, and poor ones with many of the brands listed above last 12 months or less. It pays to do a good job upfront, and make sure it is built that way.

krk
You are correct in what you say, but the question wasn't about poor installation or maintenance - it was a request for information on industrial pump manufacturers, hence the replies that have been posted.

Artisi,

You are correct about what the question was about, as I said in my post I was wondering why the question was asked, why did the owner want "the highest quality HVAC pump" and was assuming it was to find a better "quality" pump. But I ask again, why? Most of the typical HVAC commercial grade pumps will do the job and perform well when properly selected and installed, so why go to the added expense of an industrial pump? It may not be better because of the reasons I mention, and if the goal is long life at a low cost, an industrial pump is not the answer. Just wanted to point out to bbohsali that just because the owner stated they wanted the highest quality pumps, with out following the other recommendations in my last post, they will not get better service life. I see too many problems with pump installations and poor life not to add this comment. My point is to spend his money wisely.

krb
I have no argument with you on this and agree that "some" of the commercial pumps will give along life, low value trouble free installation and I guess in hindsight it was a reasonable question on your part to ask "why".

I'm curious to see the answer from the poster, but I'd bet it is a cheap, inefficient pump with rope seals (packing) and a lousy bearing setup.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE REPLIED TO MY QUESTION. I believe I also owe an answer to the question as to why this Owner wants only top quality pump manufacturers.

Without diving into too many details, this is for an academic project that aims to attract the best researchers in the world and where quality and reliability are of utmost importance.

The Owner is interested only in top quality equipment and manufacturers. I agree with most all the recommendations posted (mechanical seals, foundation, baseplate, pipe design, pump / motor alignment, Cx, etc...) and these are in the specifications. However, this is similar to someone wanting to purchase a Lexus rather than a Toyota or an Accura vs. Honda.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question and again Many Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back