Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inefficient Supervisor 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disx

Structural
Mar 1, 2007
US
Recently I joined a State Transportation. I am accustomed to working in the private sector where time is money and time not well spent equals a demotion, pay cut, or firing.

My boss is a stereotypical government worker that really does not grasp the urgency of anything. In contrast when something lands on my desk I work fervently to remove it from my desk, and as complete and correct as possible.

Problem is that when I submit things to my Supervisor for approval or review it takes weeks to get any response. I usually have to send several emails and come in to his office to remind him of deadlines.

Now, I consider myself a stand up guy and try to keep a good reputation. When we have meetings with our client or our 'boss' and they ask us why we have not done our work I am forced to sit in the same room while taking the blame.

Any tips on how to solve this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Airimac, not to sound rude, but that is an old adage. Defending a person, whoever that person of any rank might be, when that person is performing sub-par or is doing things utterly wrong...is wrong. Not to mention I would think there is some ethical implications here. I can think of many examples why this should not be a rule or even a notable saying.

Now, you should know that supervisors and subordinates get shuffled around from project to project where I work. I know what a good supervisor is - this one isn't.

As engineers, part of our job is communicate with and develop other professionals.
If you can you should make your boss look good, and he should reward you for that.

The old adage "It better to have an ******* as a friend, then as an enemy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back