Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inertia matching question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde38

Electrical
Oct 31, 2003
US
I need a little help understanding the logic of the statement below.

The secret to the extra boost of inertia is its special inertia flywheel, which adds from three to 10 times the inertia of a standard servo motor. This flywheel replaces the more expensive gearbox traditionally added to the motor for applications where the customer has a high load-to-rotor inertia mismatch. Now, on applications where customers would normally add a gearhead, they can simply use a motor, saving money and eliminating the speed constraints normally associated with a gearhead.

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a motion control expert but if you need to have more motor inertia (to match the load inertia) you could do it in serveral ways:

1) Use a gearbox as an "inertia translator" for the load. For a speed reduction gearbox, the reflected inertia is equal to the gear ratio squared times the load inertia (plus some added inertia from the gears).

2) Use a flywheel to add inertia to the motor.

It would be best to know the whole context of that statement. It looks like marketing propaganda to me.

The real question should be do the inertias have to be matched? If not then why add inertia to the motor?

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems

It looks like marketing propaganda to me.

That is what I thought, here is the link to the advertisement:

The real question should be do the inertias have to be matched?
I agree. .

Nick Repanich said:
Inertia ratio is an indicator of possible stability problems. It is not the cause of the problem.

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

this is BS.
Adding gear box is one thing, motor interia is another.
For fast servo - never do this (add interia).

For spinning with one dirrection and with one speed - yes , adding interia makes system smoother.
It also minimizes torque ripple cause by commutation in 6-step drives.
Stability - now can play with poles and zeros inside DSP driving this motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back