Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infiltrator Design - Computer Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm looking for a good computer program to design storm water infiltration systems. All the SWM programs we have are great at basins, but do not work with infiltration. I've seen some information from pipe/chamber manufacturers, but they don't allow for the manual input of infiltration rates. While assuming zero infiltration might be safest in designing volume required, many municipalities I work with require infiltration rates be accounted for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried HYDROCAD? I've been using it for about 6 months now and love it! I hav'nt used the direct entry for exfiltration feature but I know it's in there somewhere. Definitely worth checking out.

as far as modeling goes, hydrocad is definitely a great program to use. I have used the exfiltration functions and it is very straightforward. Ver. 7 also allows you to model a storm chamber/stone bed system as a single node, simplifying life a LOT.

HydroCAD. Some of the manufacturers have even provided information on how to model their units in HydroCAD. And with the nested unit feature, manual data can be easily entered.

I too use and like HydroCAD, but all routing programs I've seen allow the engineer to specify a manually-defined outlet structure.

Convert the perc rate to feet per second, then multiply by the surface area at the bottom of the infiltration volume.

Set it as a constant outflow rate to be conservative, the rate will actually increase with headwater elevation.

I've never had that method turned down under review, and I've never rejected it on plans I've reviewed, even under Phase II protocols.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back