Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inflated Pneumatic Tire With Load Analysis Failure 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahril Sulaiman

Industrial
Mar 21, 2018
MY
Hi All,

Need help from experts/senior user here.

I'm doing analysis for static analysis on inflated pneumatic tire with bearing load( from vehicle weight). The purpose of this analysis to study the deformation of the tire when load applied.

It is simplified model which only has one body tire and solid metal block as this is initial study before complex model created.

When I test run the analysis with both using structural steel, the result is fine. However, when I change the tire material to rubber or neoprene rubber (both from ansys material library)
I receive errors. I tried many time to change parameter by adding constraint, force but end up on the same result.

In this process I have tried two option;

1) Fix block and ally bearing load on tire----> Fail/Error
2) Fix tire and apply force to structural steel ----> Fail/Error

Below is the link to download the analysis file done in Ansys 18.2 workbench.
Link

Attached also the image of the setup.

Need help in solving this problem.

Thank you in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a58acc09-f67e-40ff-8ae2-6dbf75a5f723&file=Tire_Analysis.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is hard to say exactly why (looks like something with the nonlinear material or element distortion, could be something else though), since I cannot open the models (do not have ANSYS), but look on the solver.out file in your dp0/MECH folder that mentions distortion (try to use the below suggestions, and increment your displacements upwards slowly 0.5 mm at a time or so, or apply lower inflation pressures, again ramping them up slowly). Use also midside nodes HEX20 elements (structure HEX mesh, not mixed TET/WEDGE and HEX) which are good for material nonlinear analysis.

This worked in the past: use half symmetry conditions on your model, and an enforced displacement on the bottom plate (as mentioned move it up slowly, perhaps 0.5 mm at a time). thus pushing it up on the tyre, and to get the force applied just look on the reactions on that surface. This works for rubber, large deflections, and contact nonlinearities. Finally HEX20 are good for this type of material nonlinear analysis.

Hope this helps

Mr. Erik,

Thank you for your guide. I manage to get the deformation result when the plate displacement. However, I want to analyse force applied to tire and deformation cause by it. If I apply the force to bottom plate ( without displacement), I will get error eventhough the condition is same.Do you have any advice on this matter? or Do you have other method?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back