Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

information about solid output vectors femap // advice how to calculate fatigue per element

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech_eng_p

Industrial
Mar 9, 2018
NL
Hi All,

I am using femap and i have a question regarding outputvector stresses.

1) Is there a location where i can read about the differences in outputvectors 60010-60031 "normal", "shear", "principle" and with what formula the solid von mises stress is calculated?

2) I am loading a block in two directions and i want to study the fatigue stress. What is the best way to look at stresses to have an idea about the changing stress per element?

I am looking forward to a reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normal, shear and principle components of stress/strain tensors along with the calculation of equivalent stress/strain metrics like Von Mises stress is discussed in mechanics of materials textbooks.

There are different approaches to fatigue analysis. The best way to conduct a fatigue analysis will depend upon your specific materials and loading conditions. The different approaches would be discussed in a fatigue/fracture mechanics textbook.

Here are two websites you might find helpful:

I was actually looking for the actual formula which is used by femap to calculate von mises.

I looked in studybooks and tried already a lot, without any success, that is the reason i asked it hear.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back