Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

information for air craft turbines. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo65

Marine/Ocean
Nov 11, 2003
PK
Hi friends.

I am running a gas turbine power plant for genrating power for our textile unit. I am curious about the operation of gas turbines on air craft. being a marine engineer i travel a lot on air crafts and i knoe that gas turbines are used to power air craft too. I just want to know the configiration of turbines on any air craft. is their seperate turbine for generating power. How this turbine strts at first. Does thrust turbine can be modified to use in power plants(on shore) I heard that some migs turbines are being used in power plants. This is just to add my knoledge. Also how much electrical power is required for larger planes like 747. What is the specifig fuel consumption for 747 turbine generating thrust.

Thankks every one who replies.
turbo65

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aircraft turbojets are designed to put most of the power output into the exhaust velocity to create thrust. The turbines extract only enough energy to power the compressor to supply air to the engine. Power plant turbines are designed the extract all the energy from the exhaust gas and put it out though the output shaft. Aircraft engines are also used to generate power but in those cases the jet engine is used as a gas generator to drive external turbines that are coupled to an electrical generator.

Compositepro,

Thanks for ur response. If u could provide me more details about air plane turbines fuel consumption, power produce / thrust produce efficiency or could give me address of any web site for these information.

thanks again

Aircraft turbines use a shaft-driven gearbox to provide power to the power generator. Ratings go from 30 to 120KW. Usually a right-angle gear off the turbine shaft. A hydraulic constant speed drive or an integrated gear drive between the gearbox and generator maintains the 400 hertz frequency. Most of these are made by Hamilton Sundstrand.

GOOD MORNING TURBO 65 - IT IS NICE TO SEE FOLKS INTERESTED ENOUGH TO ASK QUESTIONS OF OUR AVIATION INDUSTRY AND I THANK YOU FOR THAT . THE LARGER GAS TURBINES LIKE P+W 4000 + R.R.RB211 + G.E. 90 - AS USED ON BOEINGS LIKE B.777 /B/747 ETC / AIRBUS A.340/330 ETC - AND MILITARY TRANSPORTS LIKE C-130 /C-17 / B.707 ETC. - ARE SPOOOLED UP BY VERY CLEAN / OIL FREE COMPRESEED AIR AT USUALLY 35 P.S.I. ARO. - CERTAINLY LESS THAN 40 P.S.I. - THEY ARE FITTED WITH AIRSTARTER MOTORS .
THE AIR IS SUPPLIED BY THE ON BOARD A.P.U. WHICH IS THE SMALL GAS TURBINE - USUALLY 2000 S.H.P. GARRET ETC. -MOUNTED IN THE TAIL OF A B.747 - OR IN THE WHEEL WELL OF C-130 - YOU CAN SEE THE EXHAUST PIPE BELOW THE FIN ON A B.747-400 . THE A.P.U. IS SPOOLED UP BY A 40 A/H SINTERED PLATE VENTED NI CAD AIRCRAFT ON BOARD BATTERY CAPABLE OF 1500A. AT SPLIT OFF .
OR THE MAIN TURBINES CAN ALSO BE SPOOLED UP BY A GROUND DIESEL POWERED COMPRESSOR - WHICH IS ALSO USUALLY USED TO RUN OUR AIRCON PACKS AT LOWER 25 P.S.I. ARO .
SOME GARRETT POWERED AIR STARTER ARE ALSO USED ON THE GROUND .
THE SMALLER GAS TURBINES AS ON A LEARJET OR HELICOPTER -LIKE G.E. T700 / P+W PT6 ETC. ARE SPOOLED UP WITH 28.5V. D.C. STARTER MOTORS - AGAIN VIA THAT LOW IMPEDANCE ON BOARD NI CAD BATT . - OR BY A 28.5 V. D.C. DIESEL GROUND POWER UNIT WHICH USUALLY HAS TO BE CAPABLE OF MATCHING THE ON BOARD NI CAD BATT - SO HAS TO HAVE 2000A AT SPLIT OFF . MOSTLY THESE USE A COMBINED STARTER / GENERATOR WHICH GETS PRETTY HOT WHEN WE USE IT AS STARTER AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER AS A GENERATOR !
HOPE THIS IS NOT BORING OR CONFUSING - PLS ASK MORE IF NOT CLEAR -MUCH OBLIGED J.C.= OLD A+P

Thanks jcai,

U have given me good informatios, Now i nedd to know what is stall and surge in gas turbines. i need simple answer . is there any chances of this to happen in constant RPM turbines used in power plants.

can some one give me schematic of constant volume gas turbines. I have read about it in a book but not able to imagine its design.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back