Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information on current civil construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtrain

Civil/Environmental
Jun 13, 2002
AU
I'm relatively new to the game that is civil engineering (namely in land development) and have landed a role being a design/project engineer. A portion of this role involves giving advice to clients on common construction practices. As I have been put in the deep end and have relatively little experience in construction work, is there any common literature/website which shows current civil construction practices? e.g how levels are established on roads, how drainages are placed, the type of machinery etc..?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Dtrain

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest picking up a "Construction Management" text book, such as "CONSTRUCTION PLANNING, EQUIPMENT, AND METHODS", R.L. Peurifoy, to give you a good broad over view of the construction process. There is no substitue for getting out on the construction sites and understanding the issues and problems that are encountered during construction.

If you are a trusting soul, talk to oldtimer superintendents. They'll like to bust your chops, but most are happy to help out young engineers. If done right , you can extract a lot of knowledge from them. They've been invaluable to me as the years have gone by. Another possibility is to use a Consultant. That's what I offer as a Consultant along with Civil Consulting and Design of Temporary Facilities for Construction Purposes like cofferdams, jacking pits, braced excavations, etc. If you have any specific issues, let me know and I'll give you a hand directly. Also, let me know what state you are in, I may have some good contacts for you.

R.A. Hassett, P.E.
rah1616@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back