- Black Oxide,
- Electropolish (S.S.),
- Hard Chrome,
- Decorative Chrome,
- Electroless nickel (S.S.),
- Zinc Phosphate, and
- Magnesium phosphate

on Steel or Stainless Steel (S.S.).

So far I have been able to fill 1/4 of my table; although I am not sure whether my values are correct. I know this is too much to ask but could someone help me with this please? I have gone through more than 1000 pages of literature and haven’t been able to fill my table yet.

Also, would black oxide come off if the product is polished?

Cheers,

Thank you.

Damineh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don’t know what information you’ve used, but for free info online, start with the Metal Finishing Guidebook (the print version is better, though) at

For a reference book which I believe covers all of the mentioned processes, see ASM Handbook, Volume 5, Surface Engineering. For more references, see
‘Need plating book recommendations, please’
thread332-61680

‘Magnesium phosphate’ should be Manganese phosphate, by the way.

Black oxide (hot process) can be lightly polished after the oil or wax is applied. Don’t try this with the room temperature blackening process coatings, though.

For some of the processes such as Electroless Nickel, black oxide and phosphating, suggest that you get some product bulletins from Atotech, Heatbath, Henkel, MacDermid, etc.:

Hope this helps,
Ken

For some of this info, in particular the chrome plating you might want to ask a friend of mine:

Gary Patigler, President, Electro Forming Inc. Richmond, CA(510)237-4988

Black oxide is formed through heat treatment. You might ask a cutting tool company that routinely oxide treats steel. Brubaker Tool at least used to do this quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back