infrared training courses 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabonet

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
ES
hello. I have several questions.

1) I am new to thermography, and looking for a first level course on infrared, from other thread, I have found that these are the most important place for them:

Snell Infrared

ITC (Infrared Training Center)
Infraspection Institute
Academy of Infrared Training (now also a mfg offering)
Can anybody recomend any of these places in particular? which course is better, and not product biased.

I have been reading books on the subject (Kaplan,Holst), and now want a more detailed explanation on the day to day use of equipment, and specially choosing the right camera and software. for a wide range of uses, including heat injection. Which course will give the most amount of hands on experience on Infrared cameras for diferent uses? I have seen that all courses cost around US$1500. traveling is not a problem.

2) Do you recomend to take the level 2 course, right after the level 1, or is it better to have some experience before going to the next course.?

3) this is better for another thread, but... If you were going to buy one and only one camera for many posible uses, which camera could you buy? (cost is a factor)

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am new an glad to see others asking questions as well.
I agree with your list as recommended by the helpful folks on this board.

There is one link which includes a comprehensive list of training companies and an article on evaluating training companies:

If you pick Academy of Infrared Level 1 in San Francisco October 25-29 and Level 2 in Houston Jan 2005, I'll see you there. I picked these for a variety of reasons which probably don't affect you. One was geographic (2nd course local in Houston). Another is that the cert cost is included in tuition rather than a separate fee.

In addition to the comments on this board I have heard some good things about Snell on the reliability-magazine.com board. Also I have had an opportunity to look at some of Snell's presentations at conferences and I was pretty impressed. They seem to go into more detail than any of the other presentation I have collected from a variety of sources.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

jabonet,

I would recommend you not make a imager purchase until you attend a Level I course. There are many options with imagers these days, and some manufacturers are flooding the market with low cost ($15,000 USD) units that may not suit your needs. You'll need to decide if you need a radiometric capabilities, storage capabilities and so on.

In my Level I course (Snell) many users had imagers for years but never understood how to use them correctly. Don't make a mistake thinking you don't need training, because you do.

I would schedule the Level II course only after you've had the Level I course plus several months of camera time. By then you will have many images to discuss in class.

Snell's courses are very good in my opinion. Instructors are Level III and can answer any question you have. They are also not affiliated with camera manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

IR is a tool to be used to support your other abilities unless you are going to get into IR studies at a much higher level.

if you are seeking training as an operations/maintenance engineer or technician, then it is a wonderful addition to your "tool box".

Level I is a must if you are even thinking of purchasing an IR camera. Level II combined with your ops/maint background will be a tremendous addition to improved operation and a better operating bottomline.

I realize I'm a little late throwing my hat in here, but I have to give mention to the Infrared Training Center (ITC). I am a Level II thermographer through them and have been completely impressed by their professionalism and all around knowledge base. Although they are owned by FLIR, there is NEVER any sales pitches or prejudice in the classroom. As a matter of fact, when one of the students in my Level II class asked for a price on a 695, the instructor said he had no idea and recommended he contact his local sales rep for more info - that's it. The instructors are there to teach you theory and application, although they will point out camera differences in order to give their students a better understanding of what exactly they are working with.
My final note would be to try and catch Joe Demonte if he is available. Joe taught my Level II class and made the cross-country trip to LA well worth it.
Good luck!

Hello,

I have also had an excellent experience with the ITC training, with Joe Demonte being the instructor. I am a Level II, and the support we receive from the ITC is exellent. Well worth a trip to Boston, or to your nearest regional training.

As for a camera purchase, I would recommend that you purchase the camera with the highest temperature resulution you can afford. I have worked in the field with several different imaging systems, and I believe FLIR beats out the competition in resolution as well as accuracy. We have found the P60 or P65 a good all around camera for electrical and mechanical.

Make certain you know your application(s) - i.e. typical target distance, temperature range, so you can purchase the necessary lenses and filters at the time of purchase.

I usually recommend 6 months in the field with the camera before you take level II.

The three legs of a balanced thermography program:
1) a trained/experienced thermographer
2) good to excellent IR imager that's suited to the particular needs of your plant or consulting business.
3) good to excellent reporting and tracking software

I would like to address number 3 for a moment. All camera manufacturers on the market offer some sort of image analysis software. Post image analysis can be important for certain applications (such as refractory scanning) where line profiles or other advanced analysis is needed. You may find that many loose electrical connections do not need extensive post thermogram analysis - in a white paper outlining the cost benefit of IR, Hartford Steam Boiler determined that 60 - 70% of all thermal anomolies found are of this sort. For the greatest number of problems found, you may need to do very little image analysis. The key then is to find software that will allow you to generate reports quickly, while maintaining flexibility that allows you to do image analysis when needed.

Also, another key to utilizing software properly is whether you can record data in the field or not. Since you're recording data in the camera - in the field - it makes sense to make your problem notations and utilize your reporting software - in the field - also. Some systems allow you to record data in the field and then the data flows into reports. This can greatly speed up your reporting - especially if the majority of your problems found don't require post image analysis.

Not all software is created equally. Not all solutions are either. Software and reporting and giving your customer (whether its your company or whether its your consulting clients) actionable data fast - can be a true competitive advantage.

Bruce Anderson

The website that electricpete mentioned in his post: is a good source of information. There are updated tips on different topics and the site is dedicated only to thermography and related issues. There is an archived tip on how to select an IR camera that will help you.

You should take a level 1 course at least before you buy a camera. Also, you should consider renting what ever camera that you are considering buying and try it out on your applications before you spend the money.

Infraspection Institute has 3 levels of certified infrared thermographer training available. They are truly independent of any camera manufacturers. Many training companies say they are independent, but are not. I have taken their courses and found that their educators are extremely knowledgeable and have been practicing thermographers for many years. I also do not have to get re-certified or complete any special reports.

Good Luck.

Good thread!

Mr. Bruce Anderson: You have mentioned this Hartford Steam Boiler white paper also before. Is it available somewhere?

Thank You in advance!

Yours,
Mikko Pieskä

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back