Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infrared training recommendation: 1 - Houston 2 - Good Training? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricpete

Electrical
May 4, 2001
US
Today, out of the blue, I was notified I am supposed to assume duties overseeing our infrared program. (An unfortunate turn of events removed the previous person doing that job)

We already have an ace technician who knows how to gather the data and analyse it well. I think my role will be a double check of the findings and working to get repairs properly prioritized and scheduled (not to operate a camera). I am already somewhat familiar with routine maintenance of breakers, relays, connections.

I am looking for some recommendations on the first training I should go to.

1 - Is there any training in the Houston area?
2 - If not, is there any particular training course you would recommend?
Thx.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to mention what we use infrared for. We use it to monitor the electrical equipment in our nuclear plant.

electricpete,

As you already got from the Reliability Page.

Here are web site to check on availablity in your area and schedules. The first two offer some of the best IR training in the world. Snell is "nondenominational" where ITC is a subsidary of FLIR.

Snell Infrared

ITC (Infrared Training Center)
Infraspection Institute
Academy of Infrared Training (now also a mfg offering)

Thanks Glave. It looks like those really are the big 4.

What did you mean by "(now also a mfg offering)" regarding Academy of Infrared Training?

I forgot to mention that we have two Mikron MikronScan 7200V's. Are any of the courses camera-specific?

electricpete

AIRT is now owned by a Camera manfacture (Cantronic Systmes) out of Canada in a similar wat that the ITC is owend by FLIR. Both of the schools are seperate profit centers for the respective companies. However the classes can be bias towards their individual cameras.

Snell Infrared has a great deal of experince with the MIKRON 7200V. I also used to sell them myself before getting back "behind" the camera. As I said above mostly only the two training centers owned by camera manufactures would be camera specific.

FYI if you have specific questions about your MIKRON units, shoot me an e-mail. We have a 7400V and I should be able to help you with the if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back