Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Infrared Window vs. Arc-Resistant gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK007

Electrical
Sep 23, 2010
US
Has anyone ever used IR viewing windows on an arc-resistant switchgear.

It seems that some manufacturers are trying to stay away from these windows because they fear to fail the arc tests.

For example, I am reffering to the tests required to get a type 2B switchgear as described in IEEE C37.20.7.

I'd like to get some words of past experiences. I'm in Canada.

Regards,

-Y

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Hawk-IR" IR windows have been tested in arc resistant gear (or so says their literature). I believe they are owned by fluke now.

Thanks tulum,

Those are the ones I tried to have installed on my gear. Even though the supplier is having an arc test by the end of the year, he does not want to have them on for the test.

They are very useful for thermography. I'm just wondering why they are scared of testing the gear with them.

An alternative to motinor the connection on the busbars is to use thermal sensors with a data aquisition card. The next questions woul be: has someone used them in America yet....

Yannick007, you should try contacting Powell switchgear. I have seen them use IR windows in AR switchgear and MCC. I attended a presentation in which they showed off their bus connection temperature monitoring device as well.

Zogzog,

I usually use both IR monitoring and IR Windows. Using only the IR monitoring might not work with the insurance company as they usually ask for thermographic reports. I do not have any experience with IR monitoring only. I'm also concerned with the reliability of such a system.

Thanks for the input.

You got a link to an example of that equipment, zogzog? The 50kA / 30 cycles rating on the Hawk windows is too low for the gear we're installing (80kA / 1 second). If we can monitor from within the board then that might be an interesting possibility.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back