Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ingersoll-Dressor WXH Pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerPlantGuy

Industrial
Oct 12, 2006
US
We have 6 Ingersoll-Dressor pumps model 6X14WXH-8. These pumps have numerous issues.

Today's problem: Pump was just overhauled. It ran for 3 hours at full service conitions with with no issue. We did a close check on the pump after cool down and now it has a "rub" in it somewhere. When rolling the shaft / element by hand it has a "hard spot" that can be felt and lightly heard.

These pumps seem to have too light of a shaft and allow a rotor bow.

Anyone else experienced this same problem on the same or very similar pump model?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have experienced several problems with pumps similar to these. Nine times out of ten it has ended up being a system issue. Before you blame the pump design I would check your system, especially if it is boiler feed. You may be running too far to the left or right of the curve. You may have water hammer. Your suction piping may be of poor design. You may be cavitating, etc, etc.

The overhaul of these pumps may also be to blame. Are the ones overhauling it qualified?

Also, I have found when some of these older multistage pumps are converted from packing to mechanical seals the bearings cannot hold up. The packing offers radial support whereas mechanical seals offer none.

Just some points to ponder before you blame the pump.

SJPEARSON,
Like JRLAKE stated, "who did the repair?" Was it a Flowserve Repair and Service Center? Or some repair company that said, sure I can do that. Was a root casuse and failure analysis done during disassembly? Many wear paterns internally can give indications of probable cause of failure. These pumps must be piped up correctly with the proper amount of NPSH. Variences in suction pressure and temperature can and will cause cavitation in your upper stages. Also, this pump is fitted with a balance drum between the final stage and the stuffing box, seal chamber. This is primairly used as a reducer bushing to keep your stuffing box pressures at a level that either packing or mechanical seals can operate at. The clearances in the balance drum are critical and tight, thus suseptable to gauling. Normally the internal rotating components are of Stainless Steel or Stainless Alloy. Clearances must be doubled when using 300 or 400 series alloys. Heat, rotor deflection or just the smallest piece of debris can cause a gaul. If you have any rub in the element. Do not operate the pump! You run a 50-50 chance of the wear just going away or the rotor seizing. Why gamble. Get the company back in that did the repair and have them make it right! As a Flowserve Pump Service Manager I speak from experience.

SJPEARSON
Take a look at thread407-173199 the use of Vespel in pump repairs. This material is used in Flowserve repairs through the Flowserve Mechanical Seal Division. Your local or Regional Flowserve Repair Center will be familiar with it. It can be pricey, but the benefits of using the material will pay for it's self over the life of the pump. Increased performance, non-gauling, tighter tollerances. You name it, it is worth it's weight in gold. I have had many many happy customers when this is used in the wearing ring, staging ring areas. It's so nice when you can smash the button on a pump, walk away and know that the pump will perform for years with the proper maintenance.

Poppeye that was well done. One minute SJP is frustrated and ready to scrap the pumps. After two of your posts, he may be ready to pay top dollar to Flowserve, who made the pumps, to fix them. Well done indeed :)

The WXH is a quality pump. When applied correctly it should perform with the standard materials. I would still be willing to bet it is a system issue or a poor repair job. But I do agree that he should use the Flowserve Repair Center next time.

I was not and am not wanting to throw stones. But, perhaps I should have mentioned Flow Serve did the repair.

Thanks for all your wisdom.

The Vespel wear rings and other improvments sound like great ideas. We are looking at the Vespel, modifying the shaft and impellers to a fit design, modifying the balance assembly retainer, and other mods. All represent significant improvements from what I can tell.

Again, thanks.

JRLAKE
My frustration level increases when customers want the best repair for the cheapest price. Customers may get cheap repairs in dollars but end up paying the price down the road. Replicators and pump chop shops are all around and will do very inexpensive repairs, but over the long haul it catches up to them. The company I work for started a repair shop 2 1/2 years ago. We are Flowserve Distributors and repair all Flowserve Makes and Models along with all the rest of the pump lines out there. To date over 350 Pump Repairs with no warranty issues. I will not cut corners. The WXH Model is considered an Engineered Pump. Mainly used in Power Plants and such. I always refer the customer to the Flowserve Repair Center in our Region and work with them to ensure the pump is done right. This includes removal and start-up assistance and system diagnosis if the wear inside the pump indicates some type of system caused problem. Most chop-shops just cut, fit and put back together and can offer little system assistance. Unfortunately some of the larger companies are being driven by the BEAN COUNTERS. It dosen't matter the level of repair, the cheapest is the best.

PowerPlantGuy
By all means keep the Flowserve Repair Center accountable for their repair. If they need to do it over again on their nickle then so be it. The old saying goes, "You never have time enought to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it over." Just be sure that you have zero system issues. This is a surefire out for them.

Poppeye, I agree with you 100%. The Flowserve repair centers are the best in the business and you ALWAYS get what you pay for. When I said top dollar I was referencing the Vespel. I believe these pumps are already of high quality and design. I think time and money would be better spent addressing the system and making sure the pump is a good fit for the application.

I see it every day. Customers modify the pump and it still fails. All the while the system was what needed modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back