Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial Level III qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiangJaron

Industrial
Mar 27, 2015
TW
All expert,

Assumption, a new pressure vessel manufacturer.
They would follow ASME system with U certificate.
They would like to build NDE system with person, procedure, equipment and written practice.
Of course, the personal qualification meet any Level II as ASNT SNT-TC-1A requirement.

My question is

1. How to assign the initial Level III?
2. As follow ASME Sec. V, The NDE Level III shall certified to be capable of training and examining NDE Level I, Level II, and Level III personnel for certification in those methods.
If Level III is subcontract by other agency, Who have qualification to certify this subcontract Level III?
3. A level III to be qualified by other Level III,.... infinity cycle, I think, it's not code real intention.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In our written practice, we stated how we appointed the LeveI III for our Company and named said individual by letter and had copies of his Level III certs in our files. After I became the Level IIi, we still appointed the Level III by name for those disciplines that I lacked Level III certificates.

Ours was the same Stan's.
Our Corp LVL III had ASNT cards for a few methods, and then we followed our own written procedure (which required documentations of training, experience, and ongoing proficiency) to grant LVL III in other methods.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

weldstan / EdStainless

Refer to ASME V article 1 mandatory appendix III para.4.4,
The NDE Level III, in the methods in which certified, shall have sufficient technical knowledge and skills to be capable of training and examining NDE Level I, II, and III personnel for certification in those methods.

Are there description in your written practice that candidate of Level III shall be certified by other person of Level III?
How to certify his or her qualification for this other person of Level III?

Who can be a first Level III without other person certify qualification for?

I was certified by ASNT through training, examination and documented long term experience and I developed Level I and Level II training programs in all the NDE disciplines for which I was Level III certified. While I could train a Level III, I would require that individual to be examined and certified by the ASNT. As was our appointed Level III, whose business was training in addition to contracted NDE work for others including our company.

Oh, for the first time, we hired a consultant who help ASNT cards in all applicable methods.
This consultant also helped build our original procedures and helped set up our training system.
We them maintained it all afterwards.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

One more thing, our AIA and ASME Code representative (State Chief Boiler Inspector) required the appointment letter to be signed by our company executive and acceptance countersigned by the appointed Level III.

Background
A person has LV II certificate which qualified by any NDE training company as following ISO-9712.
He also have enough training hour, experience, work experience and meet LV III condition of SNT-TC-1a.

Question: May the person to be assigned a NDE LV III by top management without other LV III certify?

ASME code 2021 Sec. V Article 1 mandatory appendix III,
III-112.6 Education, Training, and Experience Requirements for Initial Qualification.

Question: How to explain the code wording "Initial" qualification?

Paragraph 6.2. Documented training or experience gained in positions and activities comparable to those of Levels
I, II, and III [highlight #EF2929]prior to establishment[/highlight] of the written practice may be considered when satisfying the criteria for education,
training, and experience, provided the information has been verified by the NDE Level III in accordance with the written
practice.

Question: How to explain the code wording by the NDE Level III in accordance with the written practice?
The written practice is not built, what does the written practice follow up by Level III?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back