Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Injection Quills -API 10,000 #

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter vaf

Materials
Jun 3, 2021
TR
Dear Friends,

I am currently designing a set of Injection Quills (API 10,000 # FLANGES) With below design condition :

Design Pressure :426 Barg
Test Pressure :642 Barg
Nozzle Material / size :SS316L 2" SCH 40

My design reference is ASME PTC 19.3 TW-2016

The Technical Issues:

1)Design Calculation / Stress Analysis reference standard (API 6A/ASME Chapter IX,ASME SEC VIII ?)
2)Pressure tolerance of Nozzle Material (SS316 @ 642 Barg)
3)Applicability of ASME PTC 19.3 TW-2016 for Pressure Stress Calc. of API 6A 10,000#

Your advice in this regard is highly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Though this is not an API monogramed item, 316 doesn't meet the requirements of API 6A Table 7 for a 10K flange. I believe the requirement for an API 10K flange is 60ksi minimum yield material.

Given that injection quills are in a gray area the basis of design will be something needs to agreed upon between you, your client and the AI, if applicable. I would approach design of the flange portion using Section VIII flange design rules, and screen the wake frequency using PTC 19.3. (Note the m factor for BX rings is not the same as the R type rings listed in ASME Section VIII.) You may need to perform a Section VIII Div.2 part 5 analysis in order to justify the design.

You may also want to consider the vibration of cantilevered mass caused by the injection valve using energy institute methods if is connected to a weld-olet style flange.

Dear SPDL310,

Thank you for your reply.
The flange material confirmed 10k. But the Nozzle 316L May not acceptable for 642 Barg Test(or 462 Barg Design pressure)
It seems that client need to revise material of 316L in the datasheet

Peter,

I believe either one or the external pressure calculations of ASME PTC 19.3 would be acceptable, but if you are going to be installed in a B31.3 system the fact that there is no clear standard for high pressure injection quills would place this item in the non listed components category. That would require you to follow the design rules for demonstrating the effectiveness of an unlisted component, which would mean an FEA to ASME Section VIII Division 3 for chapter IX or the ASME Section VIII Division 2 for the standard section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back