Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inline compression gauge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

banshee1

Automotive
Mar 5, 2014
US
This probably isn't the best place for this, so if someone wants it in a different forum please move it. Now on to my problem.

I work in a machine shop and we have some parts that require the installation of some Lee Plugs expansion plugs (Ø.125). Right now we're using a Bridgeport to press the sleeves and plugs in. The installation depth varies slightly from hole to hole (manufacturing tolerances) so operator has a hard time knowing if everything is seated correctly. I was thinking some type of inline compression gauge I could put in the quill that has a pin diameter small enough to press the plugs in or a gauge I could attach a small push pin to would work but I have no idea where to start.

The part has to be orientated several different ways which is why I'm thinking something I could put in the quill. If part only had to be orientated one way I could probably use a load cell. I don't know how much force is required to seat the bushing and plug but the operator says they install pretty easy.

Anybody have any ideas for a device that can do what I want need? The manufacturer of the plugs doesn't specify how much force is required to install them either.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, not sure what you want / need, but a small, blinded hydraulic cylinder with attached gauge?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

The force to insert the plug goes up drastically when it bottoms out. That automatically means that using pressure to limit the travel is the way to go. The hydraulic press is the ideal tool for this (as SnTMan recommended). The insertion pressure will be low until the plug bottoms out, then the pressure goes up quickly. Obvious isn't it?

STF

Star for SnTMan.

An Enerpac cylinder and matching gage should form a nice load cell, if preset to ~half stroke, evacuated, and filled with oil, for which you'll need a bleed valve.

You can use an Enerpac pump too, if you want to use the Bridgeport for something else, or avoid brinneling its bearings.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

SnTMan, SparWeb you are correct. What I need is basically a small hydraulic cylinder, just need one that I can put in a collet in the Bridgeport. Reason for Bridgeport is the orientation of some plugs is very awkward so we made fixtures to orientate part to Bridgeport spindle so we can use push rod to install plug straight. So something I can grip with a collet is what I need.

Mike, I'll check Enerpac to see if they have something.

Thanks guys.

Why not a simple cylinder w/ axial female threads at each end. You can turn parts of suitable dimension and material for both your anvil and collet.

Thanks moon161. trying to find some small cylinders right now and not finding much. At least not as small/ low pressure as I want. Still looking though.

Maybe just use a cylinder with nothing but a pressure relief valve on it. When pressure is high enough, relief valve opens. Any further attempts to advance the plug just cause more fluid to relieve out.
I haven't checked whether the force is low enough that this can be done with air or if it has to be hydraulic, but you seem to need a compact solution. The piston doesn't need very much travel (the quill of the bridgeport does that for you).

STF

You'd only have to refill it, not repressurise it.

Let the machine travel do the pressurising.

Refilling could be done with a spring return and a check valve back to back with the relief.

A.

Have your tried SMC? I know as far as air goes tom thumb/PHD or bimba will let you spec your ends, bore, stroke, action and return very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back