Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inner lining of a can to protect against Sulphur in wines

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Tanfield

Chemical
May 28, 2018
ZA
Can anybody advice or suggest a way that is both safe and effective in protecting an aluminium cans inner against sulphur that might be found in white and red wine? Essentially trying to establish the best way to coat the inner of a can to ensure we don't get a reaction between the wine and the can which will effect the wine and its taste.

With thanks

James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you talked to a canning company about it? I am pretty sure most alum. cans these days have a polymer lining*. Sulfites (chemicals added to wine to prevent/reduce oxidation in storage) shouldn't react with aluminum, but the various acids in the wine would cause corrosion, just like with fruit juices.

also in
"Aluminium cans are coated internally to protect the aluminium from oxidizing. Despite this coating, trace amounts of aluminium can be degraded into the liquid, the amount depending on factors such as storage temperature and liquid composition.[11][12] Chemical compounds used in the internal coating of the can include types of epoxy resin.[13]"

Sulfites can be added to wine as a preservative, but they also occur naturally in wines.

Puzzled who might buy wine in a can, though? Guess if they buy it in a box already...

Anybody with a concrete patio would probably buy it. Distribution companies would probably love it, due to lower costs for transport, though they'd probably like plastic bottles even more?

Thanks all, much appreciated. Its a growing trend around the world but not without its issues. Greener, convenient to store etc etc. If the youth can communicate the way they do these days then anything goes for that market. Thanks again.

Bad corks spoil more wine than cans currently do. Sounds like an idea worth pursuing. Just not as "romantic" to pop a can as it is to pop a cork.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I love canned beer these days. 20 years ago it tasted terrible (particularly Iron City, the last to use steel cans) but in recent years the cans don't affect the flavor at all as far as I can tell. Some of the craft beer brands like Sweet Water ONLY sell their beer in aluminum cans. Hauling multiple cases to my island, the canned beer is lighter, more compact and less likely to break. It's also much easier to take the empties back for recycling. Even installed a can crusher right next to the recycling container. I'm sure the canning companies already have a suitable liner for wine but if not they will surely be glad to develop one. While I'm a bit of a wine snob and still prefer corks, I buy from one winery that only uses screw tops. The only down side to a can I see is you can't reseal it but since I almost always finish a bottle so it's a moot point. I assume the cans would be smaller than the typical 25.6 oz wine bottle.

The biggest obstacle I see to canned wine is the cost of a canning line. Every winery can bottle wine, you can even do it at home, but a canning line is a much more expensive proposition.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

There is at least one company out here in the western US that has a mobile canning line. If you are a small craft brewery, you call them up, they bring out a couple of semi trailers of equipment and process the stuff in the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back