Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Innovative Septage Treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiangoat

Chemical
Sep 14, 2004
CA
Hello all,

As many of you are aware, land application of septage and treatment of septage at WWTP's are the two predominant ways to deal with septage. However, with the tide turning against land application of untreated septage, less popular ways of dealing with it should be coming into more prominance. Mostly we're looking at septage composting technology, and septage treatment lagoons, with some focus on more innovative technology. Unfortunately, it's turning out to be devilishly hard for me to locate many existing facilities in my target area. My target area (defined by similar climate) consists of: the northeastern US, all US border states with Canada east of North Dakota, and a few Canadian provinces. I'm supposed to be finding out which states have good experience with alternative ways of dealing with septage, and hopefully locating which states have facilities that I can arrange visits to. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any facilities like this in the target area, or how I could locate them more easily.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Russiangoat,

We are actually working with a local promoter to develop an innovative composting system. Pilot units are installed in Ontario and Quebec (Canada) and the results are interesting. For more information, contact me at my professional address and I will put you in contact with the promoter.

MisterD
s.deshaies@imausar.com

Massachusetts has what is called an innovative/alternative septic system program that sounds like what you need. These systems typically reduce nitrogen levels but there are some options such as composting toilets and the incinolet toilet.
Try here:
Testing of some of the units you find there have been performed here:
Finally, the national small flows clearing house is good too:
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back