Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inorganic non-Newtonian fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretina

Marine/Ocean
Mar 6, 2013
US
Hello,

We're working on an application which we believe the behavior of a non-Newtonian fluid which becomes rigid when under stress. It needs to be inorganic so it won't spoil and as I understand it there are silicone polymers or oils which meet this criteria. Any other such fluid would be good to consider as well.

Any help pointing me in the right direction towards a supplier and identifying a readily available product on the market would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bretina
FL, USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that won't work since it won't return to its original shape afterwards. Plus I don't think it will become rigid enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bretina
FL, USA

"it won't return to its original shape afterwards"

If it does return to shape then, by definition, it is not a fluid. You cannot solve a problem that you haven't defined.

Well, it would return to it's original shape, defining it as a fluid but after a long time. It needs to have a much higher flow rate (not clay or putty-like) where it would return to it's relaxed state as in its original form immediately after impact pressure.

I'll see what I can find under "dilatant fluids".

Thanks again.

Bretina
FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back