Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inputting shear diagram to RAPT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datpt

Structural
Sep 29, 2023
VN
Hi everyone,
Currently, I am using RAPT for designing beams and slabs.

When inputting span moment diagrams, I have noticed that RAPT automatically calculates corresponding shear diagrams.

However, I have observed that the sign of shear forces is provided in a reversed manner, as indicated in the attached scan.

rapt_xhccrh.png

Personally, I don't think RAPT is wrong but currently, but currently, I cannot explain this calculation.

Has anyone met the same situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will have to check.

But why wouldn't you contact RAPT support. We do not run our support through online forums like this!

To Rapt
I sent an email to the address "support@raptsoftware.com", asking this question on the 29th of September but there has been no reply since then.

I will check to see what happened. Someone else is handling support now.

Looks to me like the moment should be positive (tension on bottom). Shear is normally considered positive between left support and midspan.

To Rapt.
Thank you so much. I deeply apriciate this!

Load is negative when acting downward. Reactions are positive when acting upward. Shear starts with the left reaction and is positive just inside the left support. It decreases as x increases, becoming zero at or near midspan, goes negative and eventually increases to zero after the right reaction.

There are some who use a different sign convention. If you show positive moments above the line, that turns everything upside down. Consistency is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back