Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inquire Piping shoe Reinforced Pad General Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyfatface

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2006
Piping shoe Reinforced Pad General Practice

SS pipe(cryogenic service) cold shoe has reinforced pad. Regarding the thk,I am wondering in field installation the Re-pad is cut from pipe or cut from separated plate.

If the re-pad is gonna cut from pipe I will specify its thk same as pipe schedule; if from plate, I would like to use uniform thk for all repad.

Which way is convenient and economic?

Thanks for your input

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically, re-pads are cut from pipe. It's material the pipe shop or field already has (from fabricating the pipe spools) and it's pre-rolled. Just spring it little to fit the pipe OD.

As I said, typically, so let me give you a couple more things to think about.

For your SS system, I assume your pipe wall is thin, will a re-pad of the same thickness be suitable for your needs?

Also, are these re-pads going to be furnished by the pipe shop, field or separate cold shoe pipe support supplier.

If it's the later, it may be more economical for the pipe support supplier to provide one plate thickness. I recommend that you call a couple of suppliers on your bid list and also check thier catalog.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Thanks for your input.
Based on your description, there are 3 options:
Option1 : Use that of 42"(largest) pipe thk uniformly, 0.375"
Option2: Break into 4 category, respectively 3/16",0.25",3/8",0.375"
Option3: Use the same as pipe wall thk

Most likely re-pad is with shoe so I will contact with pipe support vendor on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back