Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Insert Model Items problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

difficultone

Industrial
Jan 16, 2010
US
I created and saved a named view for my part model. When I insert my named view and try to insert the Model Items the dimensions don't come over. I've check the part and all the dimensions I want are Marked dimensions to be imported into a drawing and I'm set to All Configurations. What could be causing the dimensions to not appear?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are only the standard views Top, Front, Right, Left, Bottom, and Isometric orthographic? Can you create a named view that is not a standard view that is orthographic? How do you insure that dimensions are parallel to the viewing plane if you create a named view that isn't a standard view?

difficultone,

I suspect CBL is right on the money, that your special views are not orthographic. Orthographic means looking straight in to a view perpendicular to its principal planes such as the Front, Top, and Right. Isometric is not orthographic, nor will a rotated view be.

A simple test can be perfomed by manually adding a dimension in your drawing view of a feature you have already controlled with a dimension in its feature sketch. Can you even add the dimension to the feature? If you can is it the same value as the feature sketch? If the answer is "no" to either of these then it is pretty likely your views are not orthographic and you will not be able to define with dimensions on the drawing to the same dimensions you modeled the part to, much less be able to insert Model Items.

Stick with the Front/Top/Right views and use standard third-angle projection on the drawing. If the defauult F/T/R views do not present the part in a good view for the drawing that is easily changed by redefining which view is the F/T/R in the part.

CBL's last suggestion to post the part and drawing would make it easy for the members to see your problem and more directly help you.

- - -Updraft

>Can you even add the dimension to the feature?

Yes I can if I use an Annotation.

>If you can is it the same value as the feature sketch?

Yes it is.

I am not able to post the part due to a non-disclosure agreement.

>A simple test can be perfomed by manually adding a dimension in >your drawing view of a feature you have already controlled with a >dimension in its feature sketch

Adding a manual dimension works perfectly. It's when I try and use Model Items that I have a problem and no dimensions are added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back