Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert Valve in Full Pipe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichKeller

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2005
US
I need to close off a pipe coming out of a tank in order to replace the pipe. The tank is always full so the pipe is always full (can't take out of service). Are there any specialty valves that will clamp on the pipe, then either pinch off the pipe (10" 304 SS) or cut through/close of pipe? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You couldn't fish a basketball into the pipe through the tank vent?

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

RichKeller
Whats the fluid??
Water??? I hope!!
Using CO2 to freeze the fluid (at -109F) a short distance from the tank. Cut the line, down a bit from the frozen plug and insert the valve. Don't overheat the freeze plug, this would be a very bad time for that to occur.
Re-attach the piping and allow the plug to thaw.
CAUTION: Do not freeze near an elbow however.

Done Deal

Good Luck
pennpoint

Appreciate everyone's help with this. Some excellent solutions! Forgot to mention it's wastewater so feezing is an option. Thanks again!

As has been stated, if there's room, a freeze seal is probably your best option, although piping from the seal back to the tank would have to remain in place (obviously). There are companies that specialize in installing freeze seals, and they can mobilize very quickly. I know Team Industrial Services does hot taps and leak repairs - I can't recall if they do freeze seals.

Rich-

Some good ideas for you have been posted. Either a mechanical seal (line stop) or a freeze plug may be good. Team Inc is one source of these services, FlowServe is another and TDWilliamson is another.

Both line stops and freeze plugs have their advantages and disadvantages.

Be careful with freeze plugs with regards to brittle fracture. Another issue with a freeze plug is that you must be able to completely stop the flow in the pipe. A small trickle through your block valve will make it nearly impossible to form the plug.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back