Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inserting *.dwg file in a Word document in scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm curios is it possible? I must insert a AutoCAD's
(2000i) file in exact scale into a Word 2000 document,
but don't know how :-( If someone can help...
TIA!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One method; After you have changed the background in autocad to white do a copy special of the entire drawing and then insert into word or any window based word processor as paste specail. This creates a tie between autocad and word, you can jump back and forth between them. There are other ways depending on the desired results. Hope this helps.

For reports and fee proposals I occasionally embed drawings prepared in AutoCAD; these have been exported as *.wmf files and embedded in Word. They are 'vector' files and not 'raster /(bitmap)'. They have the advantage of being relativel'y small and because they are vector type, fonts don't develop 'jaggies' when you enlarge them.

My greater use of *.wmf files is for embedding small drawings in Delphi programs that I write. Embedded as an image, the line colours are retained and line widths are controlled using plines and setting a width.

I am unaware of any method of scaling these other than trial and error. The *.wmf file created is based on the visible display in AutoCAD. I understand that there is a commercial program/utility that allows the size of the *.wmf file to be set and I will try to dig up the name (it was posted on one of the Delphi conferences a while back).

For scaling, the kludge that I use is to include a small 'scale bar' I use on normal full sized drawings. Most of the drawings I prepare are 'D' size and these are often printed on 11x17 paper for convenience; the bar scale allows a quick method of guestimating distances/dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back