Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting multiples of the same part in an assembly at once 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawpRelim

Industrial
Jul 10, 2008
US
I am making a deck. I am inserting nails that I created into my assembly. The thing is that I need to insert a lot of them. Is there an option to insert say 10 or 20 nails at a time instead of 1 at a time?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you really wanting to insert all the nails??????

Use a Linear Pattern in the assy.

-or-

Create the holes for the nails in the lumber at the part level, and then use a Feature Pattern to locate the nails.

Yea, I'm putting them in. It's a personal project, so I don't mind. I have five frames, and the holes are on many different planes. So the linear pattern wont work well. Thanks though. I'm almost done getting them all in by just inserting them, than mating them. I don't want to put holes in the wood. I appreciate your idea's though.

I would create the nail with mate references, add the part to design library and the just drag and drop into assembly onto the holes. The mate references will take care of the mating (similar to toolbox parts).

Deepak Gupta
SW 2010 SP4.0 & 2011 SP4.0
Boxer's SolidWorks™ Blog

I hope you put the holes in using a pattern or using multiple positions in a single Hole Wizard feature. If so then you should put the first nail in one of the holes then use Feature Driven Component Pattern to populate the rest of the holes with the nails. If the hole pattern changes then your nail pattern follows accordingly. This is a beautiful feature designed just for the purpose you described!

- - -Updraft

LawpRelim,

I designed a backyard shed using SolidWorks. I wish I had known about the weldment feature. I don't think it works well enough for welding, but it should work very well for stud and joist frames. This will make it easier to pattern your screws, among other things.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back