Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspection of drawing when part is circular 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your part appears to be 2 circles joined together with 2 circular holes in the larger circle. It appears that you're taking measurements from the center of the smaller circle. I'm not an expert in mechanical design, but I think the following may be helpful in your design drawing:
1. Have both of the center of the circles defined in the drawing (you currently only show the smaller circle).
2. Provide the radii for both of the circular pieces of the part
3. Align the part so that the centers of the 2 circular pieces are aligned vertically (it's offset in the drawing)
4. Show the distances from the centerline to the point where the 2 circular pieces meet
5. Show the diameter/radius of the holes.
6. Revise the distances to the centers of the holes based upon realignment of the part. I'd also align them based upon the center of the larger circular piece instead of the smaller piece as well.

That's a very odd drawing, since it doesn't even show what the radii of the two larger circles are supposed to be, or how the 6.165 and 5.694 values are to be inspected, since there's no datum, or what diameter the small holes should be, or how to determine orientation or offset. Based on the drawing, there is no constraint on where the two holes could wind up, so long as the 4 dimensions are met, so they could be 1.5 shifted to the left and there would be no basis for rejecting the part, other than that it looks "wrong."

So, the question really must be, "what exactly are you supposed to be inspecting?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

By the way, you should probably red-flag this thread and re-post in the GD&T forum or Inspection forums:

forum1103
forum286

This forum is really more for speculating on the future of engineering

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

1) CMM it ? loft it (use a full size master) ?

2) your dimensions locate things with respect to each other (ie what's the problem) ?

3) you could dim'n the center of the grow-out circle with respect to the centers of the two small holes.

agree that this is probably not the most relevant forum ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

you need to dim'n the center of R3 (the small fillet rad).

there are many ways to inspect the part ... if you can draw a dimension between two physical locations, they have check it. for installations on the outside of the fuselage, we'll dimension from a seat track datum inside the fuselage ... lord knows how they check that !

an easy way would be to make a -ve part (make a hole in a plate to match the outline of your part), "go/no go" gauge.

it'll depend on how many of these you're making, and how critical the dim'ns are.

btw, you should tolerance your dim'ns. maybe there's a standard drawing tolerance ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

The Snowman ain't dimensioned and his body ain't located relative to his head. The bullet holes look well laid out, though. Good shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back