Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspection openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewMechE

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2008
US
Hello all,

I am new to engineering and as such need some advice.

I have been asked to find out whether or not inspection openings are required in between welded in plates (i.e. distribution plates). My boss seems to think that this used to be a Section IIIV-1 requirement, but he believes it has been lifted. I have read through UG-46 and don't find anything which mentions welded in plates or anything similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NewMechE;
Inspection openings typically are not mandated by Section VIII, Div 1. Inspection openings can be required by the Owner/User and designed using current Code rules.

For vessels built to ASME Section VIII Div 1, see UG-46 "Inspection Openings" for requirements; it's still current. Required openings may vary depending on the size of the vessel, service, etc. I don't think there is any reference to the exact location of inspection openings (eg: between distribution plates).

An interesting question... Presuming that the "non-corrosive service" or telltale holes exemptions do not apply, I would say that Div. 1 is not explicit in this requirement. However, I would look at the intent of the inspection openings, and UG-46(f)(6) in particular, and interpret the requirement to be that the openings exist to provide a thorough visual check of the interior. As such, a welded in panel which obstructs a visual inspection would not be in compliance with the intent.

This may make a good request for interpretation - though you'll have to wait a few months for an answer. If you get a question in now it may be in time to be considered at the next code committee meeting in early February.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back