Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inspection points using PMI (Coordinate Notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeagsman85

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2012
US
I'm working with several parts that have points established on various surfaces and edges. I'm putting the distances from these points to varius datums on the drawings for the CMM operators to use for inspection. I'm essentially creating a table on the drawing that has x-, y-, and z-coordinates for each point.

I used to get the data for the tables by manually measuring the distance from each point back the each datum and typing it in an Excel spreadsheet that I would import to my drawing as a table. Considering the fact that some of these parts have 300+ inspection points, this was a time consuming process. I have since "discovered" PMI Coordinate Notes which have made the process significantly easier and quicker. However, there are still a few hoops that I have to jump through to get the data into the drawing.

Does anyone know of a way to get the display the values for a Coordinate Note in a table? I've been able to do similar things in the past such as displaying the volume of a part or referencing some other expression but it doesn't seem like PMI works quite the same.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This will be improved in NX 9.0 with the advent of the 'Measure Point' function which will let you extract associative X, Y and Z valued expressions from any Point in your model, including when working in an Assembly.

Until then, I know of no way to automate the extraction of point data without using something written in NX Open.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to NX 9.0 then. In the meantime, the PMI functionality has dramatically improved the speed and accuracy of this process so you won't hear me complaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back