Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Manager finding old removed version

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
Good morning everyone!

I posted this on the SW forum with no replies... maybe someone out here can help me figure this out.

Breif history:
All the users are installed with an Admin image. Some users are lazy and don't follow instructions when we move to a new version of solidworks. After a few months of the new release I remove the old Admin Image off the server. Then when those users try to update to the latest or remove the old software the installation fails. I then have to manually remove Solidworks from the users PC. After its all been cleaned (Registry [Including the MS\Uninstall location], & HDD) and I start the new installation of Solidworks the IM still finds the old version of SW still installed on the machine...

My question is Where is it getting that information that it still thinks an older version of SW is installed?

I use the new uninstall solidworks process in the Admin Image and if its still finding the old version that was removed, then it might try remove it, which will cause the install to fail with a CostFinalize error. Which that term makes no sense, but that error means that cannot remove an older version of the software.

Anyone have any ideas where this is getting pulled from so I can remove it?

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you searching hidden files when uninstalling? SolidWorks dumps files in hidden directories, which you then have to search to find and delete. I'm not 100% sure that then new uninstall finds them all.

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

Scott I feel JM is correct. I use a freeware uninstall program called "RevoUninstaller" that seems to do a good job getting all of the hidden directories pointers in the Reg directory.Revouninstaller.com

Why remove the old image if you know you will have problems? Just rename the top folder of that image to Old(date) or something so it won't be found easily. Then when you do need it, rename it to the original name, run the update and rename it back.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I've had the same problem without an admin image being involved. Never did find out why, even after manually cleaning the HDD & registry for uninstall debris. Also used various 'clean-up' utilities to no avail.

I would be very interested to know ALL the SW install locations ... especially the hidden ones.

looslib,

Each major version I list on the server. I don't keep just one generic name for the Admin Image for all versions gets to confusing when you have multiple images on the same share. Each release gets the new major year, so for 2012 I have a shared image called "2012" same for "2013: etc... When I upload a SP I upload the new image share as "2012 - SP5" and to switch out SP I simply rename 2012, back to the SP I released "2012 - SP3" and rename the new image share to "2012" now the users update to the new SP release.

So what I do is the same as your solution, I just don't want to have a single generic name for a share. So I remove old image shares that are no longer in use. This is also a great way to do in case you run into a problem or a show stopper that causes major problems or there is a major bug SW was unaware of. Now I can rollback to a previous version if I need to because I have separate shares and separate folders... I would rather do a little extra work and be safe then chance it every release.

Jeff,
The uninstall in the image only has a few selections, but I don't think it offers hidden files (but I could wrong)

If the user would just follow my simple instruction when I tell them to update SW instead of waiting to update. Instead by the time they update, the old image is gone and the uninstall fails and causes a "Cost Finalize" error... (Bad error name IMO). I have to manually remove SW. I know where all the hidden locations are on the HDD, but I don't know all of them in the registry. I know few, but there has to be more, so I think your definitely right about that. I just wish SW would list what those paths all are for everyone.

I will test the program ArtL posted and see if that helps me find those hidden items - Thanks Artl I will give that a try and let you know CBL if it works or not.

Thanks for all your replies... hope no one was offended by my reply to each of yours... kind Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back