Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install Valve in Full Pipe 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichKeller

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2005
US
I need to close off a pipe coming out of a tank in order to replace the pipe. The tank is always full so the pipe is always full (can't take out of service). Are there any specialty valves that will clamp on the pipe, then either pinch off the pipe (10" 304 SS) or cut through/close of pipe? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of service is this? And where are you at?

I recall in years past that a Mineola Valve & Hydrant (Mineola, Texas) made a cutting-in-valve for this service- would normally be used on DI or PVC, so I'm not sure how it would work with SS. Try a web search for them or for "cutting in valve" and see if you get anything.

Depending on the fluid and the piping, a stopple valve may work. A google search for stopple valves turned up a company TD Williamson, that does this type of work.

KRB

Appreciate everyone's help with this. Some excellent solutions! Forgot to mention it's wastewater so feezing is an option. Thanks again!

Rich
Contact your local hot (or wet) tap company, there are several brands of line stopping equipment and hot tap insert valves, and the use of a local reputable company who specializes in the process is your best bet.
Hydrae

Depending on how much leakage you can tolerate during the valve replacement, a very easy method is to simply lower a piece of rubber sheeting (typically conveyor belting) on the inside of the tank to blank off the nozzle. Obviously there has to be some small leakage to ensure that the sheet stays in place, but in a non-hazardous application this can work well.

If it is a welded valve and you cannot have any leakage then an air bladder will probably be the most practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back