Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation Drawing Information in Multiple Installation Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

norlo

Marine/Ocean
Aug 17, 2022
CA
Hi all,

I have an installation that is considered "standard" in my organization. This is an installation that is done over and over again on installation drawings of many different design activities. Rather than including every one of these installations on a single drawing, the client prefers they be kept to their individual drawings per design activity so that installers don't need to route through massive parts lists for every install.

Let's say for example I have a receptacle; can I make 1 installation drawing to tell you the mounting requirements to a wall and call identify that as -1, then create multiple different installation drawings locating each receptacle and call up that -1 for mounting instructions. In a nutshell, can an installation drawing call up another installation drawing? This has been proposed to me, but I disagree with the idea where ASME Y14.24, 7.0 says that an installation drawing (not multiple) provides information relative to support structure etc. Am I in the wrong here by saying you can have installation information for an item in multiple different install drawings?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have always seen each product has it's own ID. I don't see a reason to one one up on another, no point doing it, just use the first one.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks
ctophers home

Dash numbers apply to parts so I would not do that. The note would be "INSTALL PER XYZ", just like there could be a note that said "PAINT PER RST" instead of creating a paint "part" document for each different item to be painted.

The parts being installed are called out on the drawing that shows them being installed. The installation drawing might tabulate different installation requirements for different parts when those requirements are similar in application such as what size holes to drill for the specific mounting hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back