Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Instant Fraction Formatting 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jproj

Chemical
Oct 9, 2001
US
For thoss of you who (like me) hate entering a fraction and having it displayed as a decimal (or a date for that matter, if you forget the =3/8 )... I came across the following in my VBA book:

You can enter the following directly into a cell and have Excel automaticlly recognize it as a fraction.

Example: To get the fraction "3/8" to enter to a cell, type the following (minus the quotes):

"0 3/8" (zero followed by a space and the fraction)

Likewise...

typing "1 10/8" returns the (mixed) fraction "2 1/4"

Hope this proves useful to someone!

jproj

That's neat. Not only that, but if you enter a list of numbers and fractions and then do a sum, the sum is in fractions. If you multiply a fraction by a fraction, is also results in a fraction answer. Excel apparently will give a fractional answer as close as possible.

Now I know all you people knew this, but I've been working with Excel and Lotus (as well as Visacalc)for a long time and never knew this.

You can further tune the display of fractions. If you want measurements to the nearest 1/16 inch, use the format code # ??/16. You can create a custom format code with any denominator you require. To restrict to a maximum number of digits in the denominator, use # ??/?? (e.g. for two digits).

What excel is missing is a rounding error indicator. My HP calculator will display fractions with an indication of whether the displayed value is higher or lower than the actual value.
-JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back