Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Instantaneous Center of Rotation Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

E720

Structural
Feb 20, 2018
US
Does anyone know of a good software/spreadsheet that checks bolt capacity under eccentric loads with the Instantaneous Center of Rotation (IC) Method. I made a VBA function that calculates it and it comes up with the same thing that the Steel Manual Tables has but that is a very limited set and I would like to test my function with different bolt configurations. My company has most of the major structural software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you know how to use python I have a program that solves for the C coefficient. Link'

bolt_group_istantaneous_center.py is the program
bolts_IC_gui.py is a graphical interface for the program

to run the gui you need both files in the same directory

or alternatively I've attached a compiled version in a zip file, run the .exe once extracted

Open Source Structural Applications:

check these links
Last link has a spreadsheet implementing the method. Theres probably a few other posts on the blog regarding the method if you go searching, including implementation for a similar thing for using the IC method with welds.

He has since moved onto creating an online version of the tool here:-

Thank you so much everybody for the help. It really is nice of everyone to help out fellow engineers. I have been using Celt83's python program.

The VBA function I wrote works well for my office because it can be used just as a regular function in a spreadsheet, albeit with a long list of input parameters.

We currently use the elastic method but we feel that we can get rid of some unneeded conservatism and use a more technically accurate method by switching to the IC method. My VBA function usually only takes 3-4 iterations to converge to within 0.5% but even if it runs 100 iterations you would never notice. We really see no down side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back