Institution of Civil Engineers - Virtual Library 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

austim

Structural
Mar 3, 2001
AU
Hi, all

Are you looking for historic engineering papers (where historic means anything from 1836 to 2002)? If you are, try
This gets you to the Virtual Library of the Institution of Civil Engineers, with its searchable database of all papers and discussions published in the Proceedings since 1836, plus a number of recent publications. Remember that in the early days, all engineers except military engineers were "civil engineers".

A few appetisers are downloadable at no charge, for most papers there is a pay-per view system. The charge for members of the Institution of Civil Engineers is £5 sterling per paper, for non members the charge is £15.

Among the free samples are:

"The construction of a stone bridge erected over the Dora Riparia, Turin", B.Albano, 1836;

"The High Office-Buildings of New York" by R. Bolton, dated 1900;

A historic (but not very detailed) 3 page article on "The Design of Bomb-proof shelters" by David Anderson (of Mott Hay and Anderson), dated 1939.

For the benefit of our US friends, I ran a search for "Roebling" and turned up "Discussion on the economic distribution of material in the sides or vertical portion of wrought-iron beams" dated 1854.

A search for San Francisco turned up "Wire Rope Street Rail roads in San Francisco and Chigao USA", dated 1882.

A very personal search for my family name produced up the 1895 discussion where my grandfather deplored the scarcity of tunnel bricklayers, and complained at their exorbitant cost (I think it was 12-3/4 pence per day :))

Would question your historical perspective. Seems to me that two forms of engineering developed concurrently around 6 millennia ago. One was civil, getting water to the emerging cities, and draining swamps. The second was metallurgy, or perhaps this origin is lost in latter day alchemy. Remember your bible on the oldest profession. Some of the Dead Sea scrolls ammend this to the second oldest profession by changing te text to say that the gods came down to cohabit with humans, making the men "workers of metal" and the better known "and their women became angels".

For another good virtual library see university of Waterloo civileng on Scholarly societies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back