Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Insulation jackets for HV Overhead conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillBill7

Electrical
Feb 10, 2017
AE
Hi All..... We have two old 115kV line running parallel to each other with insufficient clearance between each other. During windy season, we get outages on these lines as conductors of one line come in contact with the structures of the other line. We are evaluating options to fix this issue and some obvious solutions are either relocate the structures or reduce the span lengths by adding extra structures. One of the options proposed by one stakeholder is to use some sort of insulating jacket on the conductors in the areas of congested right of ways. I have never heard of any such insulation jackets for high voltage conductors before so thought to check it here, if someone knows about it. My understanding is you would rather need a 115kV power cable of same ampacity as the bare conductor to meet what they are proposing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've far from seen it all, but I am unaware of any fully insulating covers that could be used for this application. JJ_Roy has already shared the Hexdrix spacer system for 115kV. If you have the ability to properly analyze the structures for use with this system, it may be a good choice.
The few times I've ran into this situation, the most cost effective solution was to add intermediate tangent structures in chosen spans to reduce the span lengths to reduce blowout, galloping, etc. This made the engineering analysis relatively easy and light, as well as the construction. Popping in tangents is relatively easy in comparison to reconductoring or re-tensioning. You could also look for using larger insulators and/or spacing at the existing structures for increased separation.

That looks like an interesting product from Hendrix. Hope they have figured out how to keep corona from damaging the covering.

Another option is to change how the conductor move in the wind. Ideas include changing out vertical suspension insulators for vee strings, adding hold-down weights to reduce blowout, or adding tape/paint to the surface of the conductor to make surface more smooth to the wind dynamics.

Adding to bacon4life - Preformed Line Products (PLP) makes air flow spoilers and dampers to affect how wind flows over conductors, depending on what condition is causing contact between the lines (simple blowout, galloping, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back