Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

insurance question for contract work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam74

Civil/Environmental
Dec 3, 2004
US
Well I just got laid-off again. Lack of overall civil site work and some non or late paying clients at issue. I was actively working on a few projects that are not finished and I was the only civil guy left. They have said they would like me to work on the remaining projects on a contractual basis but this just happened Friday so it was kind of spur of the moment.

Since I am no longer employed there I wouldn't be covered by their insurance if I worked on a contract basis. This is all new to me. What do I need to do to make sure that my back side is covered? Is there more than one option?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sam...way to go. Good attitude. I agree...don't let them take advantage of you...after all, they let you go now they need you. Stick to your guns!!

Ron

strguy11

what software opens that document?

GregLocock

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I've had a few beers because I've been screwed for awhile now and knew it but not had much choice while I learned. What is the currency difference between here and there? Nevermind I'll google later. I always wanted to go to Australia.

First job went 9 years surveying, inspecting, and general civil/site. Classifications disapeared under the rug along with pay scales. They crept up one day when a new guy (department head) came in and let me see them. Oops!

Got licensed switched jobs for a 25% raise in one year. Oh well, I'm probably snake bit now. But I'd like to get that SOB that's laid me off twice fired now.

Definitely snake bit now. Oh well, can't get much worse.

Ron, your the man, thanks so much for your advice.

I'm just a dumb country boy and thats what I want most people to think because it is easier to pick the users and players out that way.

Is there anybody out there that is not a user or player, because I'm at a great disadvantage?

Maybe too many beers?

Greg -

The documenet is more for the first page in showing how to reduce the number of hours in a year by accounting for no holidays, etc.

What I would recommend to Sam is to take what was his salary hourly rate, and factor it up as shown. This would at least establish some sort of equivalency.

Sam. - You need the latest version of Word to open it. If i need to save to another version let me know.

strguy11,

if you could save it as a pdf and re-post that would be great.

as for my former employer, they are making other arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back