Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intake Silencing Techniques 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfry

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US

I am working on a weight/noise reduction contract for a small military generator. I am trying to investigate methods of reducing intake noise and was wondering if anyone has any experience they can share on the subject. I've seen one type of intake silencer using a tubular silencing technique that uses specific length tubes protruding into the intake filter housing, but I have no idea as to how to size the tubing or plenum, etc. The engine is a yanmar L48 single cylinder diesel, 211cc.
Thanks in advance for any info.
-Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting, this looks a lot like impedance matching on Radio electronic systems.

This is what we use to impedance match our prototype circuits:

This is for Radio circuit, and has nothing to do with engine, except the theory is amazingly similar.

A triple stub will match anything, but will be very narrow band. We match our RF transistors with that, then use software to design a matching cell according to the length of the quarter-wave tubes.

Also, the stubs are not quarter wave length, but slightly different, the difference being whatever reactive impedance is required to cancel the disturbance.

To empirically match your intake, built a triple stub of enough length, and then adjust each stub. I would be curious to know if it works!

One other point, in a radio circuit, matching the input will affect the output impedance, so we need to match both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back