Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integral Valve Vault Lift Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joncrete

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2010
US
Does anyone have any experience with "Integral Valve Vault" Lift Stations, such as this one manufactured by Wieser Concrete:

If so, can anyone comment on their Pros/Cons compared with traditional separated Wet Well/Valve Vault?

I have been designing one of these, with the Wet Well to be Square, and the Center of Gravity of the Top Section to be centered over the center of the Wet Well Base Slab so that there is no tipping moment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No experience with the intergral valve vault but looking at the PDFs on the link you provided I noticed a couple of things.

One while the opening in the upper section may be large enough to remove the pumps, most submersible pump installations I've done have the quick disconnect with the rails to remove the pumps. It doesnt appear that the arangement of the vaults would allow this to be done. That means a maintenance issue for the owner.

The other issue is the size of the wetwell and the location of the pumps. Again looking at the drawings it looks like you may have space concerns with the pumps or you'll have several bends in the force main from the pumps to get them to the valve vault. Not the end of the world just more potential issues.

Granted it sounds like you're designing this and not using the exact version as shown on the link, so you may be able to address these concerns.

Interesting configuration.

Separate valve vault:
con: potential for differential settlement. Need QC of backfill placement/compaction/testing. Should check guiderail mounting requirements, access hatch dimensions and pump dimensions to ensure adequate clearance for installation and removal.

pro: standard precast concrete components can be used.

Thanks for your comments.

Take a look at my Preliminary design, it is setup somewhat different than the Wieser station, but same concept.

Things I've noticed about this design, compared with the traditional installation:

-Less Piping Required
-No Differential Settlement
-Ease of Installation (allows nearly complete Preassembly)
-Less Antiflotation Req'd (more weight in nearly same Volume displaced)

Drawbacks:
-Heavy Top Section
-More expensive to Precast

Feel free to comment.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0b6b9680-b294-4fe9-af1c-013e5e829f79&file=HazardExample.pdf
The Wieser layout is probably more expensive than the designs by Wieser's Competitors.

The design seems more suited for deeper lift stations.

Access to the wet well will be somewhat compromised with the lift pumps and piping and the ladder rungs in close proximity. Most would drop a ladder into the access hole to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back