Integrally reinforced nozzle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leedrong

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2004
KR

Dear Sir ~!

Should a nozzle be made a forged body when design base on below specification of pressure vessel?

*** Integrally reinforced nozzle shell be used in vessels with a shell thickness above 50mm ***

We proposed 3 pieces of forged material to be welded join
, a forged weld neck flange and forged neck and forged boss .
But client says it is our misunderstanding of specification
," Integrally reinforced nozzle ", and request us to use A forged nozzle body without weld join.

Nozzle size is 14" * 900# WNRF .
Normally We use a body boss and a flange for a nozzle .
But We have vent nozzle on neck of nozzle so the neck should be more longer to put it on.

Anybody to clarify " Integrally reinforced nozzle "
clearly ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

leedrong,

Check out heavy barrel and variable body nozzles made by manufacturers such as Forged Vessel Connections or one of their competitors to get an idea about integrally reinforced nozzles. Basically a integrally reinforced nozzle is one where sufficient reinforcement for the opening exists in the host wall and in the neck of the nozzle. No reinforcing pads are added.

Integral reinforcement can be achieved by excess material in the shell or nozzle or both. A thick insert plate in the shell also qualifies. It doesn't matter how many parts make up the nozzle. See the Code sketches for definition of integral reinforcement.

Granted the codes allow a multi component nozzle, we quite often callout an Integral Nozzle (unitized) , this includes the flange, nozzle, and reinforcement as a single forging.

We use this callout on SS vessels that undergo severe thermal and pressure cycles. Another area we used this callout was the 24" manway nozzles in 16 replacement PSA vessels for Hydrogen purification.

We have also use this on SS distillation towers that suffer severe end grain attack. We accomplish this by have a long weld neck nozzle faired.

his is one large cost adder.

vesselet

Like unclesyd I've also seen one piece nozzles for certain services but I think the original question was re: integral reinforcement not integral nozzles. This is probably the confusion here.

Leedrong ( Mechanical )

Integrally reinforced nozzles, means one piece forged nozzles . This is stanadrd defination being used by consultant and in practice since many years. Foged Vessels is reputed supplier of these nozzles for high pressure vessels.

If all parts are full penetration welded, it should be regarded as integrally reinforced.
Non-integrally reinforced nozzle means a nozzle that has reinforcement mass which is not full penetration weld.

This topic would be funny if I have not had the pleasure of dealing with people nitpicking their way to get exemption from a specification.

When the term "integrally reinforced nozzles" is used in a spec, it generally mean to say a "one piece" forged nozzle that has the reinforcement included in the neck and the flange is also forged with the body. The term is refering to FVG V, HB, or F type variable body. That is what your client wants. This should have been clarified during a bid conditioning meeting by both parties.

I am noticing this is starting to be a problem now a days as we deal with more and more new and non-N.American Engineers who are not familiar with the "old" terminologies.
As such, I suggest we who writes the purchasing specifications should revise our specs to be clear, for example for a Div. 1 spec, "...intergrally reinforced nozzles as per Fig. UG-40 (d) or(e)."

So, shall we get into the term "lip type forging"?

Just my 2 cents.

codeeng nailed it. It doesn't matter how many pieces make up the nozzle assembly, but, there are no separate reinforcing elements. See UW16(C)(1)and Fig UW16.1(a)
We use such arrangements often, putting a RFWN flange on a piece of pipe which is then attached to a heavy forging going in to the vessel.

Hi All. From a Code standpoint I don't think you can argue w/ pvguy, codeeng and kyong. However, the customer spec means whatever the customer SAYS it means. The unfortunate reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back