Status
Not open for further replies.

Melas85

Marine/Ocean
Nov 21, 2013
SG
thread178-318510

Hi,

I have been looking at this forum for almost 2 years. It has answers me with lots of question during my course of career and I really like to thank this forum for helping me along the way

Anyway to start of with. I am just wondering referring to Fig. 3.2 from AWS D1.1, What is the E stands for? Effective throat or effective weld length axis?

Another question is. I have a tubular(WT=19.1 mm) to plate(THK-12mm) fillet weld similar to Fig.3.2 . The design drawings I received shown that is has to be 8 mm fillet welds. However could someone guide me on how to use the Table present at Fig 3.2?

Greatly appreciate if someone could reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I reckon it is the effective throat as defined in 2.24.1.3 (2004 ed).

As far as your example, the thinnest part is 12 mm, the pwps would require a minimum leg length of 12 mm, and given your contact size of 8 mm, an economic decision would be required in qualifying the contract weld size of 8 mm or using 12 mm providing you have approval from the Engineer (client). Keep us posted on your final outcome.

The quoted sizes: Effective throat of 8; Leg Length of 12
are the same size. Assuming an angle of 90°, the ratio of Throat to Leg is 1.414 : 1
8 x 1.414 = 11.3128 = 12

Thus, to obtain a throat of 8, the minimum gauged leg size must be 12.

bernoullies123 - Thank you so much for the advice. Will update you once get the Client Update
Duwe6 - Thank you for the advise
denlow60 - Thank you for the advise

Sorry for late reply cause I was in millitary reservists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back