Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inter-part design relationships (CATIA V5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverblue

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2010
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know how to create geometry relationships between two parts in the context of a product i.e. between a box and lid. The relationship(s) should link the geometry of the lid with the box, thus allowing the lid to automatically update its dimensions if or when the box size is modified?

I have already achieved this using 'equivalent dimensions' between the two respective parts in the product, however, to do this I had to recreate a sketch for the lid and add its dimensions manually before linking them to those of the box. I am curious to know if there is an easier method of achieving the same outcome, perhaps via projecting sketches etc?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure, depending on your settings in Catia options, you can simply go into your lid part by clicking its node in your product tree. Then edit the sketch, and you can use Constraints to lay relationships between the two parts.

You may need to publish elements first if Catia is set up to not allow it otherwise, published elements are clearly visible in your tree and are thus generally a good practise. Read up about them in the Catia help!

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Thanks for the help guys, Kevin I will have a look over my CATIA later and try out what you said.

Ferdo, I looked at the video, interesting but unfortunately not what I'm after. In that video the operator has created an intersection between the wing and a plane to generate the rib profile, this intersection automatically updates as he offsets the plane down the wing. I'm trying to link the geometrey of two sketches using rules which is slightly different. Thanks for the link anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back